What are Green Impact awards?
The Green Impact awards reward staff dedication to the scheme and hard work throughout the year. There are different levels of award on the main workbook; Bronze, Silver and Gold. As of 2018/19, there is also a Platinum award for the the team who gets the most points! On top of this, teams can also earn Special Awards or perhaps undertake an Excellence Project. Awards are presented at the Sustainability Showcase, which takes place at the end of each year’s Green Impact cycle.
How can we earn Green Impact awards?
Green Impact is based around an online toolkit. The workbook is divided into tabs for each award, with specific actions to complete on each tab. To gain the Bronze award, you must complete all essential actions from the Essential tab and gain at least 40 points from the Projects tab by completing a project(s). For a Silver award, you need to do all the essential actions in the Essential tab and gain at least 60 points from the Projects tab by completing a project(s). For a Gold award, you need to do all the essential actions in the Essential tab and gain at least 80 points from the Projects tab by completing a project(s). Green Impact likes to reward every level of effort and even teams not quite making it to Bronze level will receive a Working Towards Bronze award.
What are Special Awards?
There are 5 Special awards, rewarding extra effort or innovation. These are:
- Innovation for Engagement – this award goes to the team/department/person that has engaged more people in sustainability activity using innovative techniques and ideas.
- The Environmental Hero award – This can be a person in your department or elsewhere, who you think has done exceptional work to champion environmental action.
- Environmental Improvement – this award goes to the team/department/person who has made a real impact in your department with a recent environmental improvement or initiative.
- Community Action – this award goes to the team/department/person who has developed or participated in innovative community action throughout your Green Impact year.
- Student Leadership Award – this award goes to one exceptional student within your team or department (or yourself if you are a student!) has been leading change within and beyond their/your Green Impact team or role.
Green Impact Excellence rewards teams who have achieved a Gold standard toolkit for 2 years in a row. It gives these teams a chance to take a break from the toolkit and use their innovation and creativity to develop a multi-year project, related to sustainability.