It’s that time of year again – we’ve had our festive fun and we’re now thinking about all the positive changes we can make in the new year.
With the success of our big campus litter pick in November, I wanted to share a few tips to cleaning up your local area, in the hope it will prove just how easy it is to take some positive environmental actions, and encourage others to do the same.
- 5 a day challenge – take up this straightforward challenge of picking up 5 pieces of litter a day that you find on your commute to work, when popping to the shops or in your lunch break. A simple action that every one of us can do and which makes you really aware of the environment around you. Remember to then dispose of these items responsibly, and don’t pick up any sharp or hazardous objects!
- Organise a lunchtime litter pick session in your department – yes, I know it’s difficult when the weather is horrible, but there are some really great benefits to leaving your desk, getting some fresh air and being active! Make the most out of your lunch break and get your colleagues together to clean up the area around your building or across campus.
- Don’t have access to litter pick equipment? We have a supply of litter pickers and hi vis vests at Corporate Comms in Firth Court. Email James Merryclough at firstname.lastname@example.org to organise borrowing some equipment from us. We also have a ready-made risk assessment which we’d be happy to send out to you, along with guidelines on what to do with the rubbish you’ve collected.
- If you’re keen to take part in litter pick events in the community, visit the Sheffield Litter Pickers facebook page. They’re a really friendly and active bunch, with regular events in different areas across Sheffield. It’s also a great place to ask questions and share advice.
- Use Fix my Street to report areas with high amounts of litter – upload photos, add comments and pin the location. The Council is notified of these reports and should act on them.
- Get involved in this year’s Great British Spring Clean – from 20th March to 13th April 2020, this annual campaign hosts lots of local litter picking events across the country. Can’t see any events near you? Why not host your own!